Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wememberence Two

I am going to talk to you Owen, about your Grandma Macy; Penelope (Peni) Jean Gillespie. July 14th 1949 (i think) was when she was born, and she died at the age of 56. She died very young, in this day and age of science and medical miracles, and she died before she got to meet you. I know for a fact she would have absolutely melted at seeing you. I know for a fact she loves you, and is caring for you. To not get to see you, her grandchild, is probably one thing she has determined to change next time around.

Peni was born in Winnipeg Canada and traveled with her family down to California. I hope her other son, my brother Tim will correct me if I am wrong in any of this. In West Covina she went to high school and worked full time eating large quantities of 'Kraft Macaroni and Cheese' late in the evening, before going to be for school the next morning. Kraft Mac and Cheese would go on to be a staple in the Macy household, for two more generations...perhaps longer. Mom had 3 brothers and 3 sisters, a mother and an alcoholic/abusive father. The bit about the father is based on stories from her, but also seems entirely possible. Mom was born after World War Two and everyone was just starting to deal with the psychosis that war leaves behind as it's fruitand seed. Peni met Marshall sometime in California, she was 18 or nineteen, I believe. Dad was serving in the Coast Guard and they would meet during his leaves. They fell in love, and bore two children.

My first memory of Mom is that of being loaded on the back of a bicycle, mom and I pedaling into the warm air. I can remember the smell of the new bicycle tires, I can vaguely remember the sights. I remember the feeling though, so strongly, and I think these feelings are responsible for my life long appreciation for the bicycle.


I remember mom cooking mac and cheese for me in Texas, and sending me into the living room with a big dill pickle to suck on, while I watched Electric Co. I remember Mom looking down on me from a window of our apartments in Florida, as I negotiated a fight in parking lot. Emboldened by her 'presence' I declared, "My mother will kick your Ass." Looking back for confirmation, all I saw was her silhouette shaking it's head from side to side. I remember Mom breaking down and buying Tim and I a 'Slip and Slide'. I remember her throwing my first and only birthday party. It was awesome.
I remember Mom holding me in her lap as she drove me to the hospital after falling out of an U.S.Army truck whose tailgate was Not latched closed.


After the divorce from Dad, Mom went to school full time, worked full time and provided for Tim and I in a way that was truly remarkable, providing us with not only food and shelter, but with an Apple IIc, and relatively fashionable clothes. Against a lot of momentum, Mom fought her way back to upper middle-class, buying a house, starting her own business and eventually helping me to buy a restaurant.


Grandma Macy was the best mother a kid like me could have asked for. So many of my life skills I learned from her, because she thought it important that I do my own cooking, laundry and cleaning. She taught me to stand up for myself, and she also stood up for me. Like the time when we moved from Tallahassee to Durham, N.C. and the my new teacher would paddle me in front of the class everyday for asking her to repeat herself, as I did not understand a single word of 'southern drawl'. A letter sent to her by that teacher, explaining the reasoning behind my public humiliation was spellchecked, misspelled words circled and graded with a big, fat, red ink "F".

For my childhood and much of my adult life, my mother has been a hero to me. A fighter with such raw courage as to make anything seem feasible. The world seemed comfortable and safe to me, largely due to her. I love her very much, and know she would have LOVED to meet you.


In the latter years, her and I had some rough times. The relationship of Son/Mother fractured a bit and a real rift formed between us. If you want, someday we can talk about the last part of her life. For now know she was Irish and without a doubt, one of the best cooks I have ever had the privilege to be served by. And, she was a fantastic Mother!!! Those three things should be enough for you to begin with. Maybe we'll talk some more over some King Taco Salad.

3 comments:

  1. Nice, Drew. I always looked up to your mom. I also looked down on her - but in this case I'm referring to seeing her work in the garden at the house on 5th Ave. In our adolescent years she wore some pretty snug jeans, and I must admit I thought she was pretty hot!

    She had a great sense of humor and I remember her cheese cakes always went for top dollar at the boyscout cake auctions. She was super creative, and a Jane of all trades, it seemed to me. It was amazing to see how she could transform an old house into something special.

    I have a fond memory of floating slowly down the black river in canoes one summer.

    Here's to Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry Ryan, I always wondered why I had so many "friends". Needless to say, you are not the only one to admit this. :)

    ReplyDelete